What can we do to help?
Tuesday, 8 March 2011
Girls from the University U12's raised $420
It's not hard to guess what the number one story on every New Zealander's mind is at the moment and as the initial shock of the Christchurch earthquake starts to fade most people's minds are turning to what they can do to help.
Auckland Cricket has been trying hard to work out what we could do to assist the cricket community (New Zealand Cricket and Canterbury Cricket) as they attempt to recover from the quake. In talking to our clubs we discovered that many of them had been doing much the same thing and some had already put their plans into action.
So this article is a summary of all the things we are aware of that our cricketing community in Auckland is doing to raise money or provide services for people in Christchurch.
Radio Sport auction
- A huge range of sporting memorabilia from Ryan Nelsen's signed All Whites World Cup playing shirt to Scott Dixon's helmet. Auckland Cricket has donated Lou Vincent's signed shirt that he was wearing when he smashed a century in the HRV Cup against the Wellington Firebirds in 2009/10 as well as Kyle Mills one day playing shirt from this season, signed by the Auckland team.
- There's also a whole heap of other cricket offerings on there from the BLACKCAPS such as dinner with the McCullum brothers, a wine tasting with Ross Taylor and a coaching session from Kyle Mills, Martin Guptill and Scott Styris.
To view all the items for sale and bid click here
- BNZ, Fujitsu and Auckland Cricket are coordinating a charity tournament on 20 March at the Auckland Domain that will see business teams competing against each other, with fundraising going on throughout the day from sausage sizzles, raffles and loads more.
- Auckland Cricket is offering accommodation and work space for both New Zealand Cricket and Canterbury Cricket Association staff, as well as performing some of their basic admin tasks.
- Bucket donation collections at Cornwall, Waitakere City and Auckland University
- Birkenhead Cricket Club has donated profits from clubroom bars and meals purchased.
- Auckland University U12 Blackstars girls team baked cakes, muffins, biscuits and doughnuts, and sold them at Saturday morning cricket at Melville Park as well as collecting donations from parents and supporters, raising $420 in the process.
- Auckland University Cricket Club are trying to partner with a sister club and sister teams in Christchurch to identify their needs and support them.
Trade Me Auction
- Gordon Penney, one of New Zealand Cricket's video operators is auctioning a signed bat with all the Auckland Aces and Northern Knights signatures - click here to bid.
We've included all the things we're aware of but if you've got great ideas or plans for fundraising, or would like to donate then please let us know. Email Ross Blankenaar or phone 815 4816.